Thursday, January 3, 2013

Roasted Slices of Carnival Squash Doused in a Gingery Brown Butter


Carnival squash is my very favorite squash.  And this is because of its name.  I have yet to find sources to confirm this, but I am positive that it derives its name from what was found inside by a person long long ago.  They totally found a carnival inside!  Whenever I cut one of these open, I become convinced that I too will experience this - a whole miniature Dr. Seuss-like carnival - exotic and fancily dressed animals, parades, ferris wheels and carousels with horses, game booths, entertainers in glittery sparkly costumes - will be found in my squash. This has yet to actually happen to me, but I will never give up hope that such a thing will come tumbling from the one on my cutting board.  No other squash provides that twinge of excitement when opening it.  Acorn squash? I mean, I guess it would be cool to find an acorn inside if you were a squirrel.  But I am not a squirrel.  Butternut? What is a butternut I would have to ask.  Delicata?  Now this one is kinda neat - there have been reports that a flower and teeny birds have been spotted inside.  But these do not a carnival make. A carnival, now that is indeed exciting. And though I have yet to be the lucky enough to find an actual carnival, drizzling roasted slices of this squash in a gingery, cinnamony, juniper berry brown butter is like a carnival of flavors for my taste buds.

Ingredients
1 carnival squash, halved then sliced
olive oil
salt
1 stick butter
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground juniper berries
1/2 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
juice from 1/2 of Meyer lemon
fleur de sel, to taste

Instructions
To roast the squash:  Heat oven to 400.  Place the slices of squash on a baking sheet (I line mine with a Silpat).  Drizzle with a tablespoon or so of olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.  Roast for about 10-15 minutes then flip the slices.  Once those have become nice and brown as well, take out of the oven and drizzle with desired amount of the gingery brown butter mixture.

To make the brown butter mixture:  In large saute pan, add butter, ginger, juniper berries, and cinnamon.  Melt then allow the butter brown, about 5-7 minutes total.  You will see brown specks that have formed on the bottom of the pan.  Be careful to not burn the butter. Take off heat and add the lemon juice. Finish with the fleur de sel. Spoon desired amount over the the roasted wedges, making sure to get all those solid bits from the butter.

26 comments:

  1. You mean you don't find a carnival inside carnival squash? Total let down!

    It sounds fabulous anyway, and browned butter is always awesome on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks gorgeous and delicious! I love all squashes, especially squash with a name like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun name for this squash! I don't think I've ever had it before but you can't go wrong with a name like that :) Love brown butter...on anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would inhale the entire batch of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brown butter makes everything better! And I love that you added ginger, too...yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, the brown butter sounds and looks great on these squash rings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...thats a cool name for a squash. Never heard about it...but have seen these in the stores. Brown butter sounds yummm:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This squash looks delicious and pretty - I love the inclusion of juniper berries in the spices! I adore winter squash, but carnivals have not been my favorite. I have a few here though from my winter stock-up so I'll give them another try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if I've ever had carnival squash - now that you mention it - Looks fab, though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the name carnival squash and I bet it's so good with the ginger butter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yum! I've never seen a carnival squash but I love them all so this looks great. My favorite is dumpling squash because dumpling is such happy word. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the sound of the ginger butter! Sounds like a perfect accompaniment to roasted squash!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carnaval or no, Dr. Suess would be giddy at the sight of this. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ginger brown butter with squash sounds just scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never thought of that but you're right...finding a mini carnival inside (much like Whoville) would be awesome! I'd be just as happy with this sauce though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A carnival of flavors is almost as good as an actual carnival! The roasted slices look delicious. Now, I want to cut a few open to look for carnivals too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful side dish!great flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never heard of carnival squash. Sounds fun though :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum! ginger butter doused squash? Sounds amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I really, really love this. From the name to the photo to the recipe. Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jenn, thanks for linking this in to Food on Friday. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the flavors going on here. I usually peel my squash before roasting and I HATE peeling squash. So you roast this with the skin on and then what, just eat around the skin??

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adjusting your balance smoker. Include a diverter or a convection plate or a conduit. Broaden the fireplace descending. louisiana grills

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for this fascinating post, I am happy I observed this website on Google. Not just content, in fact, the whole site is fantastic. Feel free to visit my website; 바카라사이트

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...