Thursday, August 16, 2012

Baked Flour Tortilla Chips, Crisp and Flaky


Remember those chips in the background of this post?  We loved them so much, we thought we'd give them their very own shiny post.  These chips are all about simplicity.  Wedges of flour tortillas are coated in canola oil and sprinkled with salt, then tossed on a pan to get all crisped up in the oven.  That is all it takes to get some crispy, flaky baked chips.  It's a great, healthy alternative to fried tortilla chips, and we honestly think they taste better too, with the right tortillas.  You just don't get that flakiness with deep frying.  Oh, and a word to the wise... do not use gluten free spinach tortillas you find at Whole Foods just because they sound cool.  They do not taste good.  At all.  Just use Mission flour tortillas...

Ingredients
4 flour tortillas (I like using Mission brand tortillas)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Instructions
Heat oven to 350.  Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges, like a pie.  Place in large bowl.  Drizzle with oil and salt.  Using tongs, coat each wedge with the oil and salt.  Place the wedges carefully on two baking sheets (you don't want them stacked on top of each other), and place them in the over for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

33 comments:

  1. I like that these are baked instead of deep fried. Definitely healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I could so easily munch on these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, these are my fav thing to do with left over tortillas! (esp bc I can load them with salt... :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started making my own tortilla chips last year but i was deep frying. Baking is definitely healthier!!! Will do thuis from now on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making homemade tortilla chips! They're so much tastier and I love how crispy they get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look irresistible!! And a perfect pairing with your strawberry and corn salsa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look fantastic. I adore baked tortilla chips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum!! These would be perfect with the hummus I just bought...I mean "made." :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha trendy tortilla fail ;) I'm a good old fashioned flour tortilla girl too! These chips look fantastic, like a pita chip but not. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. would love to dip some in baba ganoush

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so easy to make! I guess I never thought homemade chips would be that simple :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great! Perfect to go with my sweet potato hummus recipe : http://kickass-cooking.com/2012/08/15/spicy-sweet-potato-hummus/

    I will share on my blog under the recipe for people to know where to find nice and crunchy chips to dip in it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha. I would totally try the spinach tortillas too. These are gorgeous chips - I'm so happy they're baked.

    ReplyDelete
  14. they look crispy and delicious!I would love some with guacamole!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i actually did a search the other day for homemade tortilla chips. so great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look so good I could eat them, right now. I make these with low carb tortillas and they are great ... Happy Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look amazing! Yesterday I cooked some mexican food and still have some guacamole: perfect with your wonderful chips!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We love making our own homemade tortilla chips! They are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Mission's flour tortillas, so I'll definitely give their corn ones a try!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Homemade chips are the best! They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These sound delicious. I like that they are baked.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love making these as well - tasty and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing this post and glad you made it to the post. I know that tortilla chips were made of leftover tortillas at restaurants and wondered if we can do it in the oven. We always have leftover tortillas that sometimes end up in the compost. I will give this a try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always say I'm going to make my own, but for some reason I never do. They are so easy and they look delicious, I AM going to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooo Im seriously making these tonight! I have those exact tortillas in my pantry already and some homemade hummus in the fridge (I've been obsessed with tortilla chips and hummus lately!). Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I make tortilla chips in the same way....baking them produces such good results and they keep well for a pretty long time as well!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look absoloutely delicious! I have some in the oven, right now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yum! Delicious and healthy way to snack.

    Thanks for sharing this.

    Marlene
    Great data Indianapolis Health Insurance

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...